GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS PRIOR TO SELECTION OF NATURAL STONES
Associated Natural Stones, natural stone tiles are made of
Granite, Marble, Slate, Sandstone, Limestone, quartzite and more such products.
With proper installation, followed with a quality sealing treatment and
periodic cleaning, these tiles will give many years of satisfaction. Natural
stone tiles are extremely durable and very easy to care for. The following
guidelines will assure that your tiles give you many years of service.
Penetrating sealers for natural stone
- All natural stone should have a penetrating sealer applied
- There are many companies that make quality penetrating
sealers that protect against stains without changing the color of the
- Another option is color-enhancing sealers that offer both
penetrating protection and brighten the color of the stone.
- Sealers vary from brand to brand in the way they perform.
It is up to the individual to choose the product that best achieves the
Finished look that is being sought.
- Make a test on left-over material before application of
your chosen sealer to ensure compatibility.
- Clean all stone before sealing. Any smudge or stain could
become permanent if sealers are applied over them.
- Penetrating sealers should be applied immediately after
installation and the initial clean-up to ensure that no stains inadvertently
become sealed in.
- Follow the sealer manufacturers recommendations for a good
?nish to your project.
Cleaning of natural stone
- Use pH balanced cleaners or soap-less detergents and soft
bristle brushes for daily cleaning. Immediately wipe all spills.
- Most sealer brands have speci?c cleaning solutions
applicable for natural stone.
- If heavy duty cleaning is required, ?rst try to solve with
pH balanced cleaners, which can include scouring cleaners and poultices that
help extract the stain. Always test abrasive or untested cleaning solutions in
an inconspicuous area to evaluate if it is suitable for the tile.
- If an acidic cleaner is deemed necessary, a light solution
of sulfamic acid is the safest and most recommended in cleaning dificult stone
or grout problems.
Be sure to rinse the area well after cleaning.
- Follow the chosen sealing company's recommendations for
regular resealing of natural stone tile.
- This is usually once a year and requires a thorough